How to Report Child Sexual Abuse

Stepping in – how to report child abuse

Resource for victims, families

Reporting Child Abuse in Australia

Reporting child abuse is a crucial first step in protecting a child from sexual abuse.

You do not need to prove that child sexual abuse is actually occurring to report it – a reasonable suspicion of abuse is all that is needed before reporting abuse.

Some professionals, such as doctors, nurses and teachers, are legally obliged to report suspicions of child sexual abuse, although these laws vary from State to State. This is called mandatory reporting.

If you suspect that a child may be being sexually abused, you can make a report to the child protection authority in your state.

If a child is in immediate danger, call the police on 000.

Here are ways on how to report child sexual abuse:

Australian Capital Territory

Office for Children, Youth and Family Support. 

Phone: 1300 556 729


Department of Family and Community Services 

Phone: 132 111 (TTY 1800 212 936)

Northern Territory

Department of Children and Families 

Phone: 1800 700 250.


Department of Community, Child Safety and Disability Services 

During business hours – contact your regional child safety service. To find out the number for your service, call: 1800 811 810 or see a full list of services here 

After hours and on weekends, call: 1800 177 135 or (07) 3235 9999.

South Australia

Department for Education and Child Development

Phone: 131 478


Department of Health and Human Services 

Phone: 1300 737 639


Department of Human Services 

Phone: 13 12 78

Western Australia

Department for Child Protection and Family Support 

During business hours, call: (08) 9222 2555; or country free call: 1800 622 258

After hours, please contact Crisis Care on: (08) 9223 1111; country free call: 1800 199 008