Paedophile Offender: Brother Nestor

Nestor the molester

It’s well established paedophiles are nothing short of monsters.

They stalk and hunt and ruin the lives of young innocent children, all under the protection of their church organisation. John Aloysius Littler (aka Brother Nestor) was one such monster.

Recruited by the Marist Brothers in the 1940’s, Littler began his career of abuse and misery at St Vincent’s Boys’ Home.

This is where the abuse started.

From 1955 to 1964 Littler abused young orphans, before eventually being transferred to St Joseph’s in Sydney.

They put the paedophile in charge of a dormitory for six years.

He was then relocated to Maitland, where he continued his reign of terror against students of the Marist Brother’s School. He was the Principal. He had full access to students. It was said he was a bully and incredibly cruel. By then he was universally known as ‘Nestor the Molestor’.

One student alleged Littler struck him with a one-metre bamboo cane with such severity that he went home after school and walked straight into an ambulance station where an officer treated his injured hands.

After abusing and raping students in Maitland, Littler relocated to Parramatta Marist High School in Western Sydney, where he stayed until 1985.

In the early 1990’s one of Littler’s earliest victims came forward with his story of abuse and suffering.

In 1993 Littler pleaded guilty, however due to his remorse, poor health and “high standing in the community” he avoided jail and was given five years good behaviour. Little justice to his victims whose lives he ruined.

Five years good behaviour for forcing a boy to “fondle and masturbate Brother Nestor. Nestor had great power over the boys, as he was then the Deputy Director of the home.”
After the court case, Littler fled to the US, in breach of his good behaviour bond.

By this time, more victims were coming forward alleging further abuse. It took three years for him to be tracked down and extradited back to Australia. He was charged with an additional 30 offences committed between 1954 and 1964 against six victims.

A magistrate committed him for trial at the Sydney District Court. A District Court judge put aside most of these new charges and the remainder, relating to two students, were listed for trial.

In May 2001, Littler’s case was granted a permanent stay. This was a victory for Littler and the Marist Brothers.

One victim from the Hunter successfully achieved a financial settlement and an apology from the Marist Brothers.

Mr Garnham spoke to the Newcastle Herald regarding his settlement, and the aftermath,
‘‘I know what effect it had on my life, until I spoke about it. For me to come out the other side and be the man I am today, it was important for me to step out of the shadows,’’ Mr Garnham said.

He told the Marist Brothers he was a ‘‘blond-haired, blue-eyed, happy fellow’’ in year 7 in late 1976 when a school loudspeaker crackled into life one morning while he was playing handball near Littler’s office, and a voice said ‘‘Patrick Garnham wanted in the office by Brother Nestor’’.

‘‘I had no idea what I was being called there for,’’ Mr Garnham said.

In his complaint to the Marist Brothers, Mr Garnham said Littler, then 50, said little beyond the boy’s name before the abuse started.

‘‘It was as simple as that,’’ said Mr Garnham.

In his complaint Mr Garnham said he screamed, and heard knocking on the office door.
He told the Marist Brothers Littler told him he ‘‘screamed like a little girl’’.

Mr Garnham believes adults at the school knew he had been abused.

‘‘Who was I going to tell?

‘‘Who was going to believe me, an eleven-year-old boy, up against the principal? That was what I was always telling myself until years later when I had to say something.’’

Get the justice you deserve with Kelso Lawyers. We want to hear your story. Call (02) 4907 4200 or complete the online form before you accept payment from the National Redress Scheme

More Paedophile Offenders